INGREDIENTS (Serves 8)
200g hot smoked trout (ChalkStream Foods)
300ml double cream
1 small finely chopped white onion with
1 tbsp unsalted butter
200g spinach with 1 tbsp butter
8 large eggs
50g grated mild cheddar cheese
1⁄2 tsp unsalted butter per ramekin
Equipment: 8 ovenproof ramekins
1. Preheat oven to 180 °C
2. Cook onion in 1-tablespoon butter in a saucepan
over medium-low heat, stirring, until softened,
about 3 minutes.
3. Add hot smoked trout and cream and bring to a simmer
over a medium-low heat, about 3 minutes, remove
4. Cook spinach in separate pan with a tbsp. of butter
until wilted and drain.
5. Divide creamy trout among ramekins
6. Divide spinach among ramekins and stir slightly
with a tsp.
7. Crack 1 egg into each ramekin and season lightly
with salt and pepper.
8. Sprinkle a thin layer of cheese over each egg
9. Add 1⁄2 tsp. of butter to each ramekin
10. Put ramekins in a shallow baking pan and bake for
8-10 minutes or until whites are just set but yolks
are still runny.
Recipe written for the Fieldsports Magazine.
Our ChalkStream® trout are hand filleted, pin boned and trimmed, before being dry cured in salt and demerara sugar. The fillets are then traditionally hot kiln smoked over sustainably sourced oak chippings to produce a deliciously flavoured cooked smoked trout . Comes with a minimum of 2 weeks shelf life and is suitable for home freezing.